Documents And Information Needed When Someone Dies

Here you can check the lists of all the documents and information needed after someone dies. They will help you notify the required people / organisations immediately after the death and assist you in the longer term probate process.

Documents and information

You'll need to gather together the following documents and information as soon as possible - to enable registration of the death and to start funeral arrangements.


  • medical certificate of the cause of death (signed by a doctor).

And if available, but not essential for registering the death:

  • birth certificate

  • marriage/civil partnership certificates

  • NHS number/NHS medical card


  • full name and surname of the deceased

  • date and place of death and usual address

  • marital status (single, married, widowed or divorced)

  • date and place of birth

  • occupation of the deceased (if the deceased was a wife or widow, the full names and occupation of her husband or deceased husband will be required)

  • if the deceased was a child, the full names and occupation of the father will be required, or where the parents are not married the full names and occupation of the mother will be required

  • maiden surname if the deceased was a woman who was married

  • the name and address of the deceased's GP

  • details of any pension apart from a state pension that the deceased may have held

Other documents/information, if relevant

  • organ donor card

  • religion

Documents needed in order to notify benefits/tax credits offices

  • correspondence confirming payment to the deceased of benefits (normally Jobs and Benefits offices), tax credits (HM Revenue & Customs) and/or State Pension (Department for Work and Pensions)

  • Child Benefit number (if relevant)

Documents relating to a partner or relative

  • proof of your relationship to the deceased (for example, marriage/civil partnership or birth certificate, child's birth certificate naming both parents)

  • your social security card/National Insurance number if you will be claiming/changing benefits

Documents/information needed by the person sorting out the deceased's affairs

The personal representative is the person formally responsible for sorting out the deceased person's estate, paying any taxes and debts and distributing the estate. They will need the following documents (where relevant):

  • sealed copies of the grant of representation (probate/letters of administration)

Documents relating to the death

  • the will, if there is one

  • death certificate (often needed when requesting access to funds; it's best to order at least two extra certified copies when registering the death)

Savings/investments related

  • bank and building society account statements

  • investment statements/share certificates

  • personal or company pension account statements


  • life insurance documents (including mortgage cover)

  • general insurance policies (for example, home, car, travel, medical)

State pension/benefits

  • relevant correspondence or statements from Jobs & Benefits Offices (for benefits) and/or the Pension Service

Amounts owing by the deceased

  • mortgage statement

  • credit card statements

  • utility/ rates bills in the deceased's name

  • rental agreements/statements (private or local authority)

  • other outstanding bills

  • leases, hire purchase agreements or similar (for example for equipment, car or furniture)

  • educational loan statements

  • any other loan statements

Amounts owed to the deceased

  • outstanding invoices if the deceased ran a business

  • written/verbal evidence of other money owed to the deceased


  • property deeds or leases (main home and any other at home or abroad)

  • property keys

Other possessions

  • existing valuations of property such as jewellery, paintings and similar (though an up-to-date market valuation will be required)

  • any existing inventories of property/possessions

  • safety box deposit information

Employment or self-employment

  • PAYE form P60 and latest payslips if the deceased was employed

  • recent tax returns and tax calculation statements (if relevant)

Business related

  • company registration documents, accounts, tax and VAT returns if they had a business

Other documents/information

The following documents and information will be required by the personal representative or close relative in order to contact relatives and friends or to return documents to relevant organisations:

  • address book/information listing close friends and relatives who will need to be informed

  • passport

  • vehicle registration documents if the deceased owned a car

  • driving licence/parking permits/travel cards/Blue Badge for disabled parking

  • membership cards or documents/correspondence showing membership of clubs, associations, Trade Unions and similar

The Bereavement Service

If you need to report the death of someone receiving Social Security benefits, you can do this by contacting The Bereavement Service.

The Bereavement Service will:

  • record the date of death and notify each office that paid benefit to the deceased

  • offer you an eligibility check, as you may be entitled to claim benefits

If you are eligible to make a claim for Bereavement Benefits and/or a Social Fund Funeral payment The Bereavement Service can take the information for your application over the phone and forward this to the relevant office.

Do it online

Last updated 02/12/2014

Help & Advice

Do you need help with how to add a notice or what to say?
Do you need help in the event of any of the following. Click on the links below

Please tell us why you are reporting this message.

Please select your Country